Monday, October 3, 2011

who are you?

Jonah 1:9
And he said to them, "I am a Hebrew, and I fear the LORD, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the dry land."

I often find myself praying that God would "Ignite my passions" or "work in my life" or numerous other things that are telling God that I need a change to occur. I don't think these are bad things to ask for, but maybe just a bit ungrateful.
Sometimes my son will be at the dinner table eating whatever we have placed in front of him when my wife or I will unwittingly mention yogurt or ice cream or cookies. Immediately, what is on his plate is no longer satisfactory. He may have been devouring it minutes earlier, but now it will take everything short of a crowbar to jam it into his jaw.
I am that way sometimes. I want God to move in one area or another, but haven't given thought to what he has already done and who I am now. Maybe a better prayer would be for me to thank Him for moving already. To thank him that I am His child - - because as such, it is the nature of a Father to lovingly guide and teach a son or daughter. Could it be that He is already "Igniting my passions" or "working in my life"? If I am His child, this must be so.
This week, try thanking God for moving in your life. Thank Him for being your Father and for sending his spirit to reside in you. Try living as who he has made you to be - - may your actions reflect that as your Father, He is already working, even though it may not be the way you would like it to be.

1 comment: