Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Miracle...

It's been a while since I've written last. In that time, my father went in for his second open heart surgery as a result of a bacteria that ate his heart valve as a result of him being on immune suppressants as a result of him having a donated kidney as a result of kidney failure that was complicated with cancer, a bad heart valve and two strokes...
Thus has been the journey for him in the last seven years. As for me, my wife will be giving birth to our second son this April as a result of a discussion we had about our family being incomplete and us needing to have another child even though our finances were not in good shape as a result of buying too much house as a result of a bad market as a result of moving across the country to be with family as a result of illness and a desire for our kids to know at least one set of grandparents...
Yesterday I was pushing a broken down motorcycle that I borrowed from my dad during his recovery to save gas. I called to check on how he was doing after the recent death of his dog and to let him know that I was stranded. I found out that their fairly new car had an oil leak, and we both sighed together as he said "I hope the first part of 2012 is no indication of how the rest will go..."
So today I wonder about miracles. I have prayed earnestly for them in the past seven years and feel like the answers have all come in the form of half-fixes that other people have enacted, not God. This has been nagging at me for quite some time now, but this morning as I was praying, a thought came to mind.

Let's look at some miracles in the Bible. Elijah ran faster than chariots and had fire come from heaven to consume a water-soaked sacrifice. Jonah's life was spared because he was swallowed by a whale. Jesus brought sight to the blind, healed the lame, cured the sick and brought people back from the dead, and Jesus himself cheated death. Though the list is much longer than that, all of the miracles seem to be done in ways in which people could not do. What if the same situations happened today? Elijah could have jumped on a Harley and gone faster than a chariot, and Jonah could have worn SCUBA gear. The people Jesus healed could have taken pills or had surgeries to heal them and the ones brought back from the dead may have been saved with a defibrillator... I am not discounting these miracles, only suggesting something about the passage of time and the miracles therein.
This morning I wonder if one of the biggest miracles ever was placed in the human brain at the beginning of creation. I wonder if God, in his omniscient wisdom and unlimited power, smiled as he formed the human brain. I wonder if he said to himself "It will take a million years for them to find even half of the miracles I am putting in here..."
So here's my question. Are prayers answered through the God given wisdom of people lesser miracles, or are they in fact miracles so big, that they display His power to many more people than simply the one who is effected? Could it be that the act of gaining wisdom and knowledge is in and of itself a miracle that is ongoing, to constantly remind us of how much He loves us? Is this why man has a never-ending hunger to learn, and is the act of learning itself a miracle?
This month, let's open our eyes. Let's live in the miracles that have been created through us by the miracle giver. Let's remember to be grateful when we climb into our cars, have a cell phone conversation with a loved one,  use a microwave (miracle invention), or swallow the handful of pills that would normally cause us to grimace with distain. Let's live the month of March in continual gratitude for the miracles we take for granted and for the miracle of a Savior who died for the love of us. It's Easter season - - let's stop being greedy, ungrateful children and start celebrating a love, a miracle, a God, who loves us and wants us to have more than we can ever ask or imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment