Monday, August 15, 2011

Eagles and Roots

Ezekiel 17 tells the parable of the Two Eagles and the Vine. There are lots of connections to be made here to the Gospel, the kingdom of God, Christian growth, etc. But here's a crazy connection that I was just thinking about. We start off with one great eagle who plants a cedar on rich soil, and as the branch grows and it's roots mature, it notices a second eagle and "bends it's roots" towards that eagle. What has happened here is a loss of focus on the one who set it in place in the first place, and a change in focus toward something else.
Isn't this where we often find ourselves in our schools and jobs? The branch was placed in it's location for a purpose, that it may prosper and "learn", but that it would always stay what it was meant to be by staying connected. It is so easy to make our education, relationships or social circles the main thing. To "bend our roots" away from the source and try to get our nourishment from something other than what was intended.
We have been placed in specific locations for a purpose, to learn, to work, and to love others, etc. but if we try to get our fulfillment there through good grades, accolades from bosses, teachers, friends, etc. then we are going to dry up.
I remember watching MTV in high school to find out how to dress, what to say and what to listen to. I didn't see it as my moral compass or anything like that, it was just a guide to coolness. Looking back, I was basing my actions and appearances on people who have no idea what they are doing either! Their source is the thing they are creating for themselves. Try making your car go by filling it up with the air that it gathers as it moves down the road - it will eventually stop moving!
Try this today. In every situation, ask yourself. Am I handling this with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control (the fruit of the spirit)? If I keep my roots planted in these things, I will find myself not only finding my identity in what is good, but also staying constantly aware of my need for a Savior as I fall short time and time again... it may also guide you to your true identity - what an awesome by-product!

No comments:

Post a Comment