Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Responsibility...

1 Corinthians 10:23 "All things are lawful", but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful," but not all things build up.
WOAH... So basically, if something is not in direct opposition to scripture (or the law of the land - which Jesus says to also follow) then it is okay? Not necessarily. This is one of the pot-smoker's favorite verses. Mostly because it is easy to couple it with verse 26, For "the earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof." and feel really spiritual as they take another long drag and sit back in a worn out lazy boy with a silly smirk, feeling very spiritual and Bob Marley esque... But I digress... It's easy to twist this one wherever you want it to go, but in the context in which it is written, it really only works one way.Paul is writing to the Christians in Corinth, which is a city much like Asheville, a place with many cultures and religions. Contextually, it speaks of eating what Jews would have considered "unclean" meats and then expands outside of the bounds of food into how to live in a diverse city such as ours. Check out verses 28, 29 and 30, and don't get stuck on the idea of clean and unclean food, but think more broadly about things like tattoos, dancing, smoking, etc.
28 "But if someone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for the sake of conscience - I do not mean your conscience, but his. For why should my liberty be determined by someone else's conscience? If I partake with thankfulness, why and I denounced because of that for which I give thanks?"
Here is crux. If I know someone (especially a non-believer) who believes that something is very wrong, such as dancing, drinking, tattoos, etc, then I need to abstain from those things so as not to lose their ear to the gospel of Christ. Everything keeps pointing back to that one thing - the Gospel. There is an old adage that says "If you cut off someone's nose, there is no use giving them a rose to smell." The Gospel is our rose, and if I let some little personal freedom get in the way of that, then I am counterproductive to what has set me free, and thus in rebellion to the freedom-giver, Jesus Christ... woah...
V:31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offence to Jews or Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved."
So here's the responsibility part. I need to know my Bible and my God so intimately, that I am sure of the freedoms He has granted for my life, and then I need to be ready at any moment, to give up any of those freedoms for His sake. This is not easy stuff - - following Jesus never is, as it always requires us to fight the nature in us that makes us want to hold on to every good gift - - no formulas, no rules, lots of grace. It is a two fold responsibility, that requires humility, discipline and willingness to give up any freedom for the sake of others knowing what I know...

"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried."

GK Chesterton


No comments:

Post a Comment